Monday 19 May 2014

Two Weeks @ Cambridge CELTA

(image from: http://entrance-exam.net/teachers-back-to-learning/)

Two weeks have passed since my first day as a CELTA trainee at CELT Athens. Other than my personal reflections on my performance, I think it would be a good idea to share some of my views regarding the course:

Experience vs Inexperience

Teaching experience is not an admission requirement. The Cambridge English website describes CELTA as an entry qualification for new teachers. In my opinion, no matter how experienced one might be, if s/he has not received proper teacher training, attending a Cambridge CELTA course should be his/her immediate decision.

Being an experienced teacher myself, I must admit that I had various concerns before the beginning of the course. At some point, I even thought that the course would be very easy for me and that there was not much to learn. Needless to say, I guess, that during these past two weeks I have learned more things than during my last 8 years of teaching.

Contrary to my false preconceptions, experience could be a serious drawback. One needs to forget his/her "way of teaching" once and for all; and this is not an easy thing to do. S/he must take for granted that whatever practice s/he might have followed, in order to survive the CELTA, one must follow the tutors' recommendations. After all, if one's practice was fine, s/he wouldn't have applied in the first place.

For the inexperienced teachers, on the other hand, the CELTA seems easier, at first, in the sense that they learn something for the first time (no objections, no preconceptions, no comparisons). However, they have to overcome anxiety, lack of confidence, stage fright, uncertainty, and any other first-time-teacher feelings on day two, the latest.

Eventually, experience doesn't make a difference. What matters is one's motive and his/her willingness to learn and improve.



FT v PT Mode

One of the things one learns as a CELTA trainee is how to do a needs analysis. I think it would be a good idea if candidates did a needs analysis on themselves first, before deciding which mode to follow. Personally speaking, I wouldn't do it on a PT basis. It is Monday, 1.08am, week 3 is on its way, and I am still working on assignments and TPs; yet, this is the thing that makes me love it that much: its intensity.

However, there are others who cannot follow a FT mode. This doesn't mean that they will receive less quality education. If one feels that a FT programme will not allow him/her to meet the course requirements, s/he should not try it. PT has its benefits, as well. For one think, one has more time to reflect, study, and prepare for assignments, TPs, input sessions, etc. 

Truth to be told: When British say "intensive," they do mean it; be prepared to devote one month (24/7) to this cause. You may have hard days, you may struggle, you may cry, but it's worth your time and energy; at the end of the day, you will feel stronger.


Individual vs Team Work

For me, this is the most important aspect and the key to make your life easier: your trainers and fellow trainees. These people: a. are the ones with whom you will spend 9 hours per day sharing everything from attending classes to crying for no reason, b. will say - to your face - everything that goes wrong with your TP, (If they don't, do not trust them) and c. are the only ones who know what you are going through. Respect and understand them.

2.00 am, Week 3 has already started!
If you are thinking of pursuing a career in teaching, or if you are a teacher that hasn't received training, do sign up for a Cambridge CELTA course. There are many training centres around the world. This is an opportunity for all of us to step back, reflect, and become better professionals.


(Special thanks to Marisa Constantinides for her "so-called improvements.")








4 comments:

Daria said...

Yes, I'm feeling just like you! Good luck with your CELTA course!
Daria from Rome

Laila said...

Hi Angelos,

First of all, congrats on your attitude :) I really believe that willing to admit that what we may know is way far from being enough is the right track to building a solid and well reflected career.

I had also been teaching for 4 years before I did my CELTA, and I absolutely agree with you, it should be a priority in any teachers' to do list.
I did the part time, (for this I admire you even more... I saw the full time trainees eat, study and almost sleep at the language centre.. and yes, there were some tears too).

Even after a B.Ed and years of teaching, CELTA provided me with tools I always felt I was missing and I loved the fact that it all came to life in the short term within the teaching practice.

Yes, CELTA does require deconstruction, but you get to build a much stronger version of you as a teacher.

Good luck with the rest of it. ;)

Angelos Bollas said...

Good luck to you, too. If anything, this course teaches one how to reflect and develop. :-D

Marisa Constantinides said...

Small changes only - but it looks perfect now!!!

:-)